Each day, the average consumer receives an ever-increasing number of advertisements vying for their attention (for some this occurs literally from the time they wake up until the time they close their eyes at the end of their day). The challenge for every Amazon seller is how to cut through this daily barrage of ads and win the battle of how to have prospects stop, look and ‘listen’ – to zone in on your product(s) and most importantly, decide to purchase them.
Attention spans are short. One of the best ways to address this fact of life for Amazon sellers is by incorporating Amazon’s Enhanced Brand Content into their strategies for moving to the front of their niche.
What Exactly Is Amazon Enhanced Brand Content?
Enhanced Brand Content is another tool in Amazon’s arsenal (to help drive sales), that sellers should explore when trying to figure out the best way to stand apart from the competition in their niche.
The Enhanced Brand Content (EBC) feature (sometimes referred to as the A+ tool) enables brand owners to showcase the unique value proposition of their products.
Sellers can go above and beyond presenting the basic product information and display it in a much more captivating way to draw the attention of shoppers.
It gives the brand owners the ability to describe the product(s) features of branded ASINs, in a different way by including a unique brand story, enhanced images, and text placements.
This detailed approach to providing product information has the ability to:
- Transform uncertain shoppers into actual buyers (improving conversion rates)
- Minimize the risk of having a product returned by offering more information than usual to meet the shopper’s expectation.
This feature is only available to Professional sellers who have been approved as brand owners through the Amazon Brand Registry process, as well as emerging brand owners who are part of certain managed selling programs.
Once a seller has been approved, he or she will be able to add EBC only to products that are part of their approved brand catalog.
The Benefits Offered By Enhanced Brand Content
- Adding EBC to your product detail pages can result in higher conversion rates because it helps consumers easily digest relevant information about your ASINs (you have the ability to dissect your content into logical chunks of information, for example).
- Enhanced Brand Content contributes to a better first impression and helps prevent visitors from immediately bouncing from your listing.
- EBC appeals to different types of prospective customers because this type of content is richer, more accessible and more likely to convert a wider range of viewers.
- Enhanced Brand Content may also help increase your traffic by improving the visibility of your products.
- EBC improvements to your listing can translate into increased sales and greater profits.
- Enhanced Brand Content makes your content more scannable, which takes into account the segment of your prospects that may prefer to scan your listing.
- EBC allows you to add images within the description for a more visual effect, as well as also add subheadings, paragraphs, bold, italics, underlined text and bullet points.
- Enhanced Brand Content can help with SEO because it allows you to create modules with pictures and value points, which you can use to include your keywords (Amazon keyword optimization), which will then come up in search.
- Sellers using Amazon PPC software like PPC Entourage, can make EBC a part of their overall Sponsored Products campaign strategy in order to turn more of their advertising clicks into conversions, effectively increasing the ROI on their ad spend and reducing their ACoS.
- Enhanced Brand Content gives you the ability and opportunity to tell your brand’s story. Some data suggests that today’s consumers want to know who they are buying from and in some cases, want a face or a picture to go with their perception of your brand. EBC allows Amazon sellers to put a name and a face on their brand(s) to build customer trust.
- With EBC, sellers have the ability to highlight why their product(s) is different and explain what their brand does best. It is a means for showcasing unique value points for consumers who want to know why they should buy your product.
- Private label brands have the ability to differentiate themselves from generic and major brands.
Third Party Brand Seller Registration (prerequisite)
If you’re not an authorized Third Party Brand seller, you won’t be able to use Enhanced Brand Content. You must first register as a Third Party Brand seller by meeting the following criteria:
- You must have products that are truly unique (that can first satisfy the requirements for a trademark) *
- Your brand needs to have a registered trademark
- You must be able to provide Amazon with evidence of this
- You must provide images of your products and packaging carrying the brand name
- If the product itself is not branded, the packaging must be
* Purchasing a generic product from Alibaba and placing a label on it will not suffice, but you could create some kind of custom alteration to a product and have it manufactured to your unique specifications. This could put you in a position to get trademarked and have your brand registered with Amazon.
NOTE: Owners of private labels are encouraged to register your brand because such registration adds another layer of credibility and helps to enforce intellectual property rights, if the necessity arises.
What Are Amazon’s Enhanced Brand Content Requirements?
Once you’re approved, a registered brand owner still needs permission to add an Enhanced Brand Content description to any one of their ASINs. EBC is only allowed for certain types of products (for example, you are not permitted to add EBC to ASINs that aren’t part of your brand).
Amazon approves each EBC submission on an individual basis. They will either be accepted or rejected with reasons stated for the rejection. This usually takes between two and seven days. You may have up to 20 submissions pending at any given time.
If you want to take advantage of Enhanced Brand Content, you must adhere to these guidelines:
- Do not reference your company as a seller or distributor
- Do not include company contact information
- Do not mention anything about seller reauthorization (such as “product only sold by authorized resellers”)
- Do not use copyright, trademark, or registered symbols in the text or images
- Do not include information about shipping details or timelines
- Do not use blurry or low quality images or images containing unreadable text
- Do not include warranties or guarantees
- Do not use content that duplicates many of the images from the main image block on the detail page
- Do not mention competitors’ products
- Do not make claims such as “top-selling product” or “cheapest on Amazon”
- Do not include images or text that attempts to mimic the Amazon logo
- Do not include information about customer reviews
- Do not use logos or images from brands or organizations other than your own, or multiple brand logos on an image
- Do not include content from third parties (such as quotes from magazine articles)
- Do not try to publish EBC descriptions with grammatical errors, punctuation errors, misspellings, strings of all caps text, or abusing font features
- Do not include any Lifestyle images not showing the product
- Do not mention your product in connection with any kind of criminal activity
- Do not violate any category requirements or Selling on Amazon policies
- Do not include any weblinks or attempt to redirect customers away from Amazon
NOTE: Amazon sellers utilizing Enhanced Brand Content should periodically check to ensure that they are up-to-date with Amazon’s latest guidelines because the above list isn’t necessarily an exhaustive list.
Getting Started Using Enhanced Brand Content
To get started with EBC, follow these steps… beginning in your Seller Central account:
- Select “Enhanced Brand Content” from the “Advertising” menu.
- Amazon gives you options with the layout of your Enhanced Brand Content. Enter the SKU representing the ASIN you want to use and follow the onscreen prompts to select your desired template.
- You can create EBC using one of five pre-built templates or by selecting the custom template and using individual modules to create the style you desire.
- The template that works best for your product will depend on your business model and how you believe prospects in your target market will respond to a specific layout (split test different layouts to minimize assumptions on your part).
- Keep your ideal customer in mind. What are their pain points/problems, desires?
- Populate the text and image slots.
- Layouts can be designed with a combination of text and images in various positions. Begin by choosing the one that you believe will give you the best opportunity to provide additional detail about your product.
- Clearly communicate the most salient information as quickly as possible.
- Spend time looking through customer comments. They give valuable clues when considering the type of information to be prioritized for prospective shoppers. (For example, a number of complaints in an area may be a sign that your description needs to be improved in order to set better customer expectations for product performance or usage – “this is ideal for use…”).
- Create another version for your split-test
- Save your changes or click “Submit” to send the content for validation and approval.
- Confirm that your EBC has been published or make any necessary changes to gain approval, by clicking “Edit” for a specific SKU.
Amazon has added two new features that Amazon sellers should be aware of before completing step number 3.
What Are the New Features Added to EBC by Amazon?
Amazon has added two new features to its Enhanced Brand Content that every Amazon seller should be aware of because when used properly, these new features can be powerful tools to drive additional sales and raise the visibility of your product(s) to potential buyers.
The new features added to Enhanced Brand Content serve two important functions:
- to provide more content options to help inform customers about your brand and product features
- to help customers with visual impairments to learn about your products
(New EBC feature #1) – Access to six new EBC content modules
You can find these modules in the ‘Select a new module’ pop-up when you add a module to your EBC template.
- Comparison Chart
- Single Image and Sidebar
- Four Image Highlights
- Single Image and Specs Detail
- Single Image and Highlights
- Image and Light Text Overlay
To learn more about the requirements of the new modules, see the following help page.
(New EBC feature #2) – Brand owners can now submit image keywords, also known as alt-text, when uploading images. Image keywords do not appear on the product detail page, but are available on screen reader applications used by customers with visual impairments to learn more about your products.
Image keywords should consist of a simple sentence describing the image (e.g., “Blender on kitchen counter next to fruit and yogurt.”) and are required for all images uploaded to EBC.
To learn more about image keywords, see the following help page.
If you would like more information on how to incorporate Enhanced Brand Content into your Amazon business to better showcase your product(s), or want to discuss your overall strategies for successfully competing in your niche, our Amazon seller Consultation Service can work with you to give you the answers you need.
If you have arrived at the stage in your journey as an Amazon seller who would rather work on growing their business, free on the day-to-day grind of working in it, our Management Services is an ideal solution.